Print Icon  

Marriage Licences


Applying for a Marriage Licence

Where Can I Apply?

Marriage licences are issued at the Municipal Office Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. and 4:15 p.m., unless arranged otherwise.

How Can I Make an Appointment?

It is recommended that you make an appointment to make sure staff are available to sign your licence. Please call Sarah Johnson at 519-881-2223 Ext 159 or email to set an appointment to bring in your application. 

How Much Will It Cost?

The fee for a marriage licence is $130.00, payable by cash, cheque or debit card.

What Do I Need to Bring with Me?

Both Applicants in Attendance

  • Completed Marriage Licence Application form signed by both applicants
  • Identification for Both Applicants:
    • Either valid birth certificates OR Valid passport for each applicant
    • AND government issued photo identification (example: driver's licence, health card) for each applicant

Only One Applicant in Attendance

If both applicants cannot appear in person, one applicant can bring in the following:

  • Completed Marriage Licence Application form signed by both applicants
  • Identification for Both Applicants:
    • Either a valid birth certificate or valid passport for both applicants
    • AND government issued photo identification (ex. driver's licences, health card) for both applicants

Special Circumstances

Marriage After Divorce

If an applicant has been divorced, and the divorce was granted in Canada, the original or certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required. A copy may be obtained from the court where the divorce was granted and can only be certified by the court registrar (a photo-copy is not acceptable).

Foreign Divorce

If the divorce was granted outside of Canada, please review the Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario. A Statement of Sole Responsibility will need to be completed.

Send the completed information to:

Office of the Registrar General
189 Red River Road, PO Box 3000
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5W0

This process could take up to 4 weeks to complete. In the case of a foreign divorce, you must get authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence can be issued to you.

Widowed Applicants

Where an applicant is a widow(er), you must bring a copy of the Death Notice provided by the Funeral Home or a copy of the Death Certificate.

Applicants Under 18 Years of Age

If a person is under the age of 18, consent of both parents is required using Form 6 - Consent to Marriage - Sworn Affidavit. If there is separation, divorce or death involved, parents or parent with custody can sign.

How Long Will It Take to Process My Marriage Licence Application?

Once your Marriage Licence Application form is complete and the required documentation and identification are provided, the licence will be issued while you wait.

How Long is My Licence Valid?

A Marriage Licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of up to three months (90 days) from the date of issue.

Who Can I Ask About Performing a Civil Ceremony?

The Municipality of Brockton offers Civil Wedding Ceremonies.

Marriage Certificates

A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.

You need this document to:

  • show legal proof you are married
  • apply for certain social benefits
  • settle an estate
  • change a last name

A Record of Solemnization of Marriage is not the same thing as a marriage certificate.

Before you can order a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered. The official who performed the marriage will register your marriage by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to ServiceOntario.

You may order Marriage Certificates online through Service Ontario approximately 8 to 10 weeks after the date of your marriage.

Change Name After Marriage

If you wish to change your last name after you get married, please read the Change Name After Marriage Information Form to learn more.