Print Icon  

Getting a Certificate for Births, Deaths, Marriages and Change of Name


Betty Diebold
Clerical Assistant
Municipality of Brockton Box 68, 100 Scott Street Walkerton, ON NOG 2VO
Map this Location.
T. 519-881-2223 Ext. 35
Toll Free: 1-877-885-8084
F. 519-881-2991
E-Mail the Clerical Assistant

We have provided information below for those in need of documentation related to birth and death registrations or marriage certificates. These registrations and certificates are obtained through the:

Office of the Registrar General
189 Red River Road, P. O. 4600,
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8
Phone: 1-800-461-2156

Birth Certificates

Births occurring in Brockton are no longer registered with the municipality.

Service Ontario receives requests for new or replacement birth certificates and certified copies of birth registrations at Service Ontario. This site also accepts electronic submissions for statements of live birth, applications for birth certificates and social insurance numbers. If you need to travel with your newborn and have not yet received a birth certificate, please contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156 or visit the Service Ontario website.

Death Registrations

For deaths that occur in Ontario, the funeral director, or person responsible for completing the death information, brings the documents to the Clerk’s Office. The division registrar records the information, issues a burial permit and forwards the documents to the Office of the Registrar General. After this has been completed, you may apply for a death certificate online through Service Ontario.

Marriage Certificates

After the marriage ceremony, the Officiate who performs the ceremony will mail your completed marriage license for registration to the Office of the Registrar General. Once the license has been registered, you may apply for a marriage certificate online through the Service Ontario website.

Change of Name after Marriage

When you get married, you don’t have to legally change your last name (surname). You can change your last name to your spouse’s last name, or you can combine both of your last names into a hyphenated last name. The Service Ontario website contains all of the information.