Print Icon  

Animal Control


Animal Control ensures a safe and healthy environment for both residents and animals in our Municipality.

Our Animal Control Officer provides animal control services to the Municipality of Brockton and enforces the Municipality's animal control by-laws:


All dogs in Brockton must be licenced each year and must wear their dog tag at all times. View our Dog Licences page for registration and fee information.

All Dog Owners must keep their dogs on a leash and abide by "poop and scoop" regulations.

Kennel Licencing

If you wish to keep more than three (3) dogs, we require that a Kennel Licence Application be completed and an inspection be conducted before a Kennel Licence can be issued. A Kennel Licence must be applied for each year.

View the Kennel Licencing section of our Dog Licencing page for more information. 

Lost Dogs

If your dog is lost please contact the Brockton Animal Control Officer.

Dog Bite Prevention Campaign

The Grey Bruce Public Health Unit and Grey Bruce Veterinary Association are launching an awareness campaign to help people understand most dog bites are preventable and reducing the number of dog bites is everyone's responsibility.

To stay safe:

  • Never approach a stray dog or a dog you don't know.
  • Ask the owner's permission before petting a dog.
  • Keep your dog under control at all times.
  • Socialize your dog starting from a puppy.
  • Immunize your dog against rabies (It's the law!).
  • Seek medical attention of you do get bit.

For more information, view the Dog Bite Prevention Poster, or contact:
Bob Hart, Public Health Manager
Grey Bruce Health Unit
519-376-9420 or 1-800-263-3456 Ext. 1279


The Municipality of Brockton does not have a cat by-law. Cat owners have a responsibility to keep their cat on their property, using a leash or harness if necessary. Owners are responsible to vaccinate and neuter or spay their cat to prevent attracting stray cats to the area.

Wildlife Concerns

Our Municipal Animal Control Officer does not provide a service to deal with, or remove, nuisance or injured wildlife on private property. Calling Police about non-emergency wildlife issues can take them away from dealing with other important emergencies. 

Please visit our Wildlife Concerns page to learn more about the best way to deal with wildlife issues that may be affecting you or your property.