Walkerton

Contact

Walkerton is Bruce County's County Town, located in a valley on the banks of the Saugeen River.

History

In 1851, Joseph Walker was the first settler in Brant Township to satisfy the conditions of settlement. This included clearing 12 acres of land. From then on, the settlement was called Walkerton. Walker established a mill where Durham Road crosses the Saugeen River and initiated a flurry of development between the 1850s and the 1890s.

Since 1900, Walkerton has remained relatively stable in size; however, the industrial base has changed from an agricultural-based local economy with related manufacturing to a more diversified local economy based on manufacturing and government administration.

Walkerton was never an incorporated village, but was taken from the Township of Brant and erected into a town by special legislation--the General Act requiring a population of 3,000, whereas its population at he time was but 994, and to include this number an area of some 1,400 acres was covered. The town was "proclaimed" immediately after the passage of the Act of Incorporation, at the beginning of the legislative session of 1871, and the first meeting of the new municipal council was held March 17 th. Joseph Walker, the founder of the settlement, was chosen the first Mayor; Wm. McVicar, the first Reeve; and Messrs. Stephen Noxon, David Moore, Hugh Todd, Wm. Shannon, Jas. F. Davis, Wm. Smith, Moses Stewart, Louis Wisser and Paul Ross, Councillors. Walter Langmuir was the first Clerk/Treasurer, and James Blain the first Tax Collector.