Cargill

Contact

Living Here

There is a strong sense of community in Cargill and many Cargillians hold strong ties to their home village, attending community events throughout the year.

Cargill is home to the modern Cargill Community Centre and Cargill Park where weddings, dances, tournaments and community events are hosted. The treed park and mill pond are perfect sites to enjoy the Cargill Bike Bash, Pickin' by the Pond, Jake's Weekend Memorial Slo-Pitch Tournament and many more. Cargill Park features two ball diamonds, two soccer fields, camping facilities and a children's playground.

The once bustling village is quieter now and is home to a variety store, Saint Joseph's Catholic Church and the Cargill Branch of the Bruce County Public Library.

Located along the Teeswater River close to the Greenock Swamp, southern Ontario's largest forested wetland, Chepstow is close to nature. Residents have easy access to 80km of hiking, biking, horseback riding, ATV, snowmobiling, skiing, snowshoeing and dog sledding on the Bruce County Rail Trail.


View Larger Map

 

History

Cargill, located on the banks of the Teeswater River in the former townships of Greenock and Brant, was first a Native Village called Yokassippi.

The name was later changed to Cargill after Henry Cargill, the man who planned and developed the village. Cargill became the first village of its size in this part of Canada to have its own electric power and fire protection.

Cargill opened its first post office on January 2, 1880. There were many thriving businesses in Cargill in the early 1900s. One such business was a livery stable, which was the only stable between Walkerton and Paisley that had horses for hire.